Thursday, May 30, 2013

The art of writing...poetry.

The aim of art is not to represent the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.
--Aristotle.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

      
     Writing poetry.
Hmm. Rarely a profitable job. 
Not commonly read by a wide audience.
Why write it at all?
 
Honest answer: it helps me to look at the world through different lenses.
 
Writing poetry helps me focus more on words, their sounds, their shapes, and their rhythms...hah, that said, I've always liked playing with words, word games, writing doggerel, and playing with long words with the intent to confuse, amuse, amaze, astound, and confound. True story: talking about a somewhat sensitive subject with my boss...with the office door open, I warned him that I was about lapse into "polysyllabic circumlocutory utterances." He laughed, "David, I am certain that I have never, ever heard that word in conversation." He probably hoped never to hear it again, either!
 
 
Writing poetry makes common things a bit less common.
 
Writing poetry forces me to take a step back, slow down, and to think in wider circles.
Phooey on circles.
Spheres!
 
Poetry embraces reality but tries to peel off the outer layers,
layers that may hide, disguise, or merely clothe the truth in easily-ignored togs.
 
 
Clearly see.
Reality.
Sets me free.
Poetry.
 
 
   
    
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate and might even enjoy your dialogue!