Friday, April 12, 2013

Determined to be Free.



Life is like a game of cards.
The hand you are dealt is determinism;
   the way you play it is free will.
--Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru 
 
 
=========== ============== ================ ============= ==============

   "Oh, there were too many things to do."

   "Poor me, I don't have any attention span, my mind wanders away all the time."

   "Doctor tells me I'm losin' my mind...cain't say as I miss it, much."

=========== ============== ================ ============ ================

   Well, I hope you've only used excuses one and two! But, why any excuses at all? Work with me on this--what do you have lingering that simply needs to be done?
   Still sitting here reading? Go do it!


   THAT, my friends, is also the task of the writer--I can sit here reading...or, piddling away time on you-name-it, versus,
             go and do it!
            (or, in this writer's case...put on some classical music that I know helps me to focus, close all other applications/windows, and start to write like a crazy man.)

   Now I'm inspired...buh-bye. I'll let you know how today's writing turns out.

   [Turned out great, pounded out about 1000 words, and at least half of it is gonna be keeper material! Now, onward and upward!]

   Okay, self-determination:
              I am free to write, to talk, to choose...
                    and free to blob, blah, and booze.
              Free to worship, sing, or pray
                    or free to waste another day.

They're all choices, wide-open. Just like the words that I put in the mouth of a character, or their actions or...wait just a minute. A character starts to have a life its own, and I cannot just put words and actions in willy-nilly (remembering the origins of this phrase, "will I, nil I," or "will ye, nil ye." Essentially, whether you like it or not, coerced; or, haphazard, w/o rhyme or reason.)...I must respect my characters and have them speak/act in accord with their personality. That's a big part of what makes a story authentic...do the characters think and do, with consistency? As my hero, Stephen King would say about his characters and plots, "They are their own people, following their own story line. I dunno what they're going to say and do next--I can hardly wait to find out!"



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate and might even enjoy your dialogue!