Friday, March 15, 2013

Discovery

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody else has seen, and thinking what nobody else has thought.
--Gyorgyi, Hungarian scientist.
..................
Discovery: what a writer tries to do every time we sit in front of an empty screen or piece of paper. We try to see what everyone else has seen and render it clearer and crisper, by finding a different angle, a twist in the usual interpretation, a way of wording things that has never been used in the history of humanity! THAT is discovery, my friends.

Discovery: what a writer tries to do when the germ of a story presents itself. Is the character highly life-like? A caricature? A fantasy? Is the plot going to be the main focus, in which the characters play? Or, will the strength of the characters be more important than the plot? Do I have a plan or an ulterior motive as I write? Or, as Stephen King says (in my words, but a pretty fair representation of his words): take strong characters; throw them into difficult straits; see how they react; repeat. King goes on to say, "I love writing--I can hardly wait to find out on't know how these characters are going to respond!"

Discovery: the same process can happen when we meditatively pray. That's too lengthy a topic to pursue here, so if you're interested, here's a document to peruse...and to chew on slowly. I'll love to hear from those of you who make your own discoveries!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate and might even enjoy your dialogue!