Monday, January 14, 2013

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.


   We don't stop playing because we grow old;
           we grow old because we stop playing.


What's the diff twixt work and play? Is it a vast gulf? Are there times when it's only a wide ditch that a bold leap might span? Might the issue be that it's our attitude that needs an adjustment so that work and play have greater overlap?

Writing has to be filed under the "work" heading: if one is going to construct good sentences that weave together into cogent ppghs that synergize to create a great story--you betcha it's work!

BUT...a playful attitude helps a lot--why be perfectionistic with the first draft? I just play with words, both for meaning and for sound (alliteration, assonance, consonsance) and for the flow of the sound and the meaning. Editing time--there's where the perfectionism comes to the forefront...with icy gaze, pretty phrases that are cluttering up the tidy and simple meaning need to be axed.
     "But, it was witty and pretty and..." sez Smitti.
     "Ix-nay, it was too much icing and not enuff cake!" says the editor. "Much too often, books and periodicals are not adequately edited...and I mean for more than just spelling and grammar! There's too much language when 'just the facts' would have been better. Other sentences just go 'thud,' forcing the reader to reread the prior sentence or the prior ppgh--when that happens, unless the reader is young or distractable, I put the blame on the writer! K.I.S.S. is still a fundamental and simple truth!" the editor said, shaking his head and disappearing into his lair with a parting growl.

If dogs and cats and bear cubs and otters play, and human kids play...seems to me it just might have something to do with the imago dei...or is that just a crazed thought? [Your thoughts welcomed...there's a spot below for comments--that's sorta the idea of a blog--that we converse!]

Is play always frivolous? Look at the industrious approach taken by a child who's building (or breaking!) something orfiguring out a game or device...the kid is focused, delighted, and isn't happy to be interrupted!

I think that play is something either programmed or needed by all of us. Sure, there are time to be plodding and focused and not-very-playful with detailed, finicky undertakings...but life is too short to not try to add a measure of fun to every task. I think Mary Poppins had it right, "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go do-own..."

Hmmm?

---------

Okay, I've had a few mnths to digest this blog post...so, ten months later, here's my response:

--Drawing on my own experiences, when I am "at work," I may be productive, but the productivity is rote and necessary. Creativity and fun are not part of most people's "work vocabulary."
--When I don't approach writing as play--I end up writing very little.
--When I do approach writing as work--I'd better be in editor-mode.
--I haven't produced much creativity lately...perhaps 'cuz I'm focused on marketing my last book.
--Time to go play at my writing--see ya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate and might even enjoy your dialogue!