Sunday, January 27, 2013

Magic

Real satisfaction came when inspiration and effort magically took flight.
Maryanne O'Hara--Cascade.


Think back to the last time you took that magical flight Ms. O'Hara describes...was it at work? At play? Or, at that marvelous junction where work and play and inspiration and the Holy Spirit all join hands in a synergistic symphony of joy?

Sadly, my experience with "work" is that magic rarely occurs in the presence of plodding daily details, especially when overseen by administrators whose concept of creativity involves ensuring that we stay inside the lines when coloring. Perhaps that's why true creativity, business breakthroughs, iconoclastic outbreaks mostly take place in small businesses, in entrepreneurial climates, in "skunk works" (labs that are not necessarily operating within the bosses' rules), and in basements or garages.

Happily, my experience as a writer does sometimes achieve this delightful creative storm...in fact, as I prepared my sermon on Psalm 121 (preached 1/27/13 @ Faith Presbyt Ch)...I almost felt guilty, the study, writing, and preaching just flowed like water downhill! All kudos to the Source of all inspiration, might I add...okay, I must add!

Sometimes, writing has this magical flow...such as my book of children's Christmas stories (THE ANIMALS OF CHRISTMAS)--these stories just came to life with vigor and humor and charm. Other times, it isn't bad once I get started, but getting started--WHEW! I feel like I'm battling my way through a million cobwebs: individually, nuthin; collectively, feels almost impossible to get a move on. But, with perseverance, the cobwebs yield and then I'm off and running. How true of so much of life, it's the getting off the start-line that's the absolute toughest part. And, how true and often that a mere cobweb of a hindrance keeps me from starting any project, simple or complex!

Howzabout your experience? Had a "wow" lately when things just fell together, and you stood back, amazed and pleased and proud? Fought (or are fighting) huge cobwebs?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate and might even enjoy your dialogue!