Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Storytelling

Every major work of the master (Auguste Rodin) told a story and laid bare the human heart...it is up to the artist to use language that can be understood, not to hide it in some private code.
 
Heinlein. STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND.
--- --- ---


"Tell me a story," demanded the child.
"But I just told you one," said the weary parent.
"I know--I want another one!"

Been there/done that?
As the petitioner, or the petitionee?

Didn't we all asked for stories at some time or another...do you remember?...and, in fact, as adults, we continue to ask...oh, not as openly/honestly as a kiddo, but, listen:  We watch advertisements that follow a story line, as Mercedes attempts to present the tale of Santa checking his naughty/nice list; the Olympics are now a series of human-interest stories (like it or not, that's what the powers that be have determined, driven by polls, focus groups, and feedback.) Political elections are much less about facts and stances than about story. Shows about dancing/singing/surviving/dating work hard to find a theme, a story line that makes the players much more than mere dancers/songsters/etc.

When my wife and I watch college football, each school runs a 1 or 2 minute video, touting the virtues of their training/heritage/geography. Many schools show a picture of some pretty buildings, a variety of handsome students, someone in a study carrel, one or more sporting events, and so forth. Notre Dame instead tells a story of one student or prof who is pursuing something important...for instance, the fight to eradicate tuberculosis, a global nemesis.

We are unfailingly moved by these ads--why? Because they tell a story!

We read stories, fiction or non-fiction...but, when I rave about a work of non-fiction, what do I say? "It read just like a novel...wove a nice story that captured and retained my interest."

I think that's why, while I can enjoy (some) modern art, it is representational art that engages me, because there's a good chance that there's a story being told. [I know, there's story behind abstract art--and, when we know that story, the art offers us much more for our mind to wrap around.]

Hey, tell me a story? [Well, go tell a kid or a grandkid... or write me a comment, below!]

==========
 
Tell me the stories of Jesus
I long to hear,
Things I would ask Him to tell me
if He were near...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate and might even enjoy your dialogue!