Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Summer Reading



Whenever summer rolls around I begin to realize that I'm a complete and utter book snob. In relation to reading, I have absolutely no guilty pleasure at all. No graphic novels. No murder mysteries. My summer read is really no different from my winter read. I know many bookshops and magazines would have me believe that our summer forays are different, but literature is literature, and unfortunately snobbery is snobbery.
     --Colum McCann, author.

=-=-=-=

There are good books, even great books, that you read happily but with a faint feeling of duty. Then there are the books, often less pedigreed, that you read in a haze of compulsion, as if their pages emitted a drug. Summer is the season for the latter.
     --Ben Dolnick, author.


Where do you fit? Snob? Rut? Compulsion?

Me? Not a snob, nope--I'll read anything and everything.

Fluffy mystery? Sure.

History of mankind? Right-o.

Biography of a WWII prisoner of war? Bring it.

The Hobbit (for the 10th time!) YEAH!

As an author, I think I learn more about writing from the mediocre than from the excellent--the truly excellent doesn't make you think about the mechanics of writing, because it transports you!

Beam me up Scotty--I've read everything there is to read on this planet! Where to next?

----------

What is the best book you've read this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate and might even enjoy your dialogue!