Tuesday, October 23, 2012

PLAY!



"That's the truest test of insanity: insane people are always sure they're just fine. It's only the sane people who are willing to admit they're crazy." Nora Ephron

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


Sometimes when I'm writing, I try to truly step outside myself, just letting the words and thoughts flow...omitting the usual (nigh-omnipresent) "editorial function," you know, that self-critical feedback that has likely stymied more good ideas than bad ones it has corrected! That's right...as Nora says it so aptly above...just go a little crazy, admit it, and run with it--laissez les bon temps rouler!

Sometimes writing is truly play--using a strong character, I can ask, "What might this gal do?" and just let her have at it...and have her wisecrack her way out of a pinch. At other times, writing is work--the dialog doesn't crackle, the descriptions seem tedious, the plot is as linear and interesting as a six-inch ruler...ugh. Worse, still, when I'm reading something that actually got published despite those same problems! That said, I think I learn more about writing from a shoddy work--"Gee, this is boring and the dialog is stiff and having to re-read the same ppgh three times...I'll just do the opposite. Oh, and, I promise to never use a five-dollar word when a five cent one would be crystalline! Unless I forget and am carried away on the wings of my flowing prose--which is where that edit-function becomes necess!

Sometimes, writing is such fun, I sit here and belly-laugh.
"What's so funny?" drifts from my wife's lips, from down the hall.
"Me!"

Here's a quick ppgh taken from "Christmouse Time," when the brave little mouse meets the Magi:


Leuko walked right into the middle of the street, slowly approaching the strangers.

The nearest camel startled and abruptly started to back up, causing the other camels to bray and spit. The men did not turn to calm their camels, leaving that task to their underlings, as their hands dropped to the hilts of their swords and their eyes scanned the area, looking for the threat that had startled their beasts. Spotting Leuko, they chuckled, but the largest man, he of the deepest voice, dropped to one knee and asked, “Ah, brave little one, do you come with a message?”

Thinking fast, Leuko replied, holding up one forepaw, "Fear not. I come in peace."



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate and might even enjoy your dialogue!