Thursday, May 9, 2013

Immense Possibilities.



     After reading the story that I'd admitted to basically copying, my mother was disappointed. She gave me back the pad and said, 'Write one of your own, Stevie....'

     I remember an immense feeling of possibility at the idea, as if I had been ushered into a vast building filled with closed doors and had been given leave to open any I liked. There were more doors than any one person could open in a lifetime, I thought (and still think).
 
--Stephen King, ON WRITING.
 
=-=-=--=-
 
I love that "immense feeling of possibility" that is frankly open to any and all creative pursuits. Gosh, when you look at nut-case artists like Jackson Pollack (famed for his "splatter" paintings) or crazy writers or musicians--golly, all we need to do is put up our best effort and then keep refining.
 
Overwhelmed by too many possibilities? Nice problem to have--pick something and get started. Can't get started? Well, take your favorite excuse and stand it on its head. One guy who wanted to be a painter...couldn't afford to. Or so he thought...until he found scrap wood, begged some left-over house paint...and, there he was, painting and having himself a fine time, creating, learning, and recreating.
 
Painting, like writing, is great--don't like it?--paint over it!

I love King's image of that vast building, full of doors. I'd like to find a room with a view and a comfy chair next to a bookcase...and my computer on the library table right beside me. Buh-bye, world...after I read for bit, I'm going to write about a new world, one that I'm creating, right now!
 
Got any immense possibilities looking you in the eye?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate and might even enjoy your dialogue!